BJP backs Joshi, accuses govt of stalling probe into 2G scam
New Delhi: Standing firmly behind PAC
Chairperson Murli Manohar Joshi against the onslaught by
Congress and DMK members, the BJP on Thursday alleged that these
were "calculated, deliberate and sponsored" attacks by the
ruling coalition to stall the investigation into 2G scam.
"The BJP strongly condemns the attacks on the PAC
chairperson. These are calculated, deliberate, concerted and
sponsored attacks," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
Joshi had faced stiff opposition from Congress and DMK
members in the PAC meeting today, when they alleged that he
was trying to destabilise the government. They opposed the
draft report and said it had been outsourced.
Supporting its senior leader and former president
against these barbs, the BJP alleged that when the probe
reached the top levels of power like PMO and Finance Minister
this "sponsored campaign" started.
"There is a design behind this attack," Prasad said,
adding that the attempt was to forestall the report.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had earlier said Joshi
is a seasoned politician and a senior parliamentarian. He had
also offered to appear before the PAC. The Congress members
had also praised the PAC earlier," Prasad said.
He recalled that during the April 4 meeting of the
PAC, the panel had unanimously decided that it should submit
its report on 2G spectrum issue by April 30.
The BJP objected to the manner in which some Congress
members of PAC commented in the press against Joshi.
"We want to ask the Congress a question that when the
Prime Minister had praised Joshi how has he now been painted
as a villian?" Prasad said.
The main opposition also charged the UPA government
with attacking government institutions one by one.
"First Kapil Sibal attacked the CAG, then the others
also attacked him. Then came the appointment of a person (with
a tainted record) as CVC. Now a Parliamentary committee is
being attacked," Prasad said.
The Rajya Sabha MP alleged that Parliamentary Affairs
Minister PK Bansal had visited some PAC members from other
parties to influence them.
"The government does not want the PAC report. It had no
objection when industrialists or editors were called. The
whole hungama started when officials from the PMO and the
Attorney General were called," Prasad alleged.
"Regardless of repeated rebuffs from the media and the
judiciary, the government has shown dogged determination to
stall a fair investigation (into 2G scam)," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'