BJP backs Nitin Gadkari as RSS distances itself
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari, who is facing accusations of wrongdoing in business dealings, heaved a sigh of relief after his party backed him, while his parent organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) distanced itself from the matter.
Making his party’s stand clear, BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said, “Nitin Gadkariji came to Delhi today and met veteran party leader LK Advani. After meeting the senior leader the party president met Lok Sabha Opposition Leader Sushma Swaraj and Rajya Sabha Opposition Leader Arun Jaitley along with general secretaries and party spokespersons.”
“Gadkariji apprised the party leaders about the issue and as he himself has offered for a probe, the BJP core committee has unanimously decided to stand firmly behind the party president.”
Javadekar also dismissed media reports of Gadkari’s resignation saying that all such reports are “useless and baseless.”
“Nitin Gadkari along with Sushma Swaraj will go to Himachal Pradesh for poll campaigning,” Javadejar further said.
BJP’s decision comes after RSS washed its hands of the BJP president over allegations of wrongdoing in his businesses.
Earlier, RSS general secretary Bhayyaji Joshi issued a statement, saying allegations about certain irregularities in the corporate affairs of some political leaders have caused a lot of consternation in the general public.
“RSS has nothing to do with any of the allegations. It is saddened by efforts to drag Sangh`s name in this,” the RSS said in an emailed statement.
Further, while stressing on the need for a proper investigation in the Gadkari controversy the RSS said, “Illegal activity by anyone must be subjected to impartial probe and guilty punished.”
Noting that the allegations have been levelled by the media only and an authorised agency is yet to look into these, the RSS leader said: "That being the situation, it is unfortunate that the discourse on these allegations has turned more and more political."
Contending that the fight against corruption should be waged at a non-political and non-partisan level, Joshi said: "In the last few days, the media has been making allegations about certain irregularities in the corporate affairs of some political leaders. These allegations have caused a lot of consternation in the general public."
Gadkari is facing charges of impropriety over funding of Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL) with media reports claiming that major investments and large loans to the company were made by Ideal Road Builders (IRB) group, which had won contracts between 1995 and 1999, when the BJP chief was PWD minister in Maharashtra.
The income tax department and the company affairs ministry have begun separate inquiries into Gadkari`s firm and its financial dealings with 26 investor companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked