BJP backs Nitin Gadkari, says no legal or moral wrongdoing
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday came out in full support its embattled chief Nitin Gadkari, who has been facing corruption allegations in relation to the shareholding pattern of Purti Group of Companies.
Addressing the press here after a late evening meeting of the BJP Core Group, senior party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad read out a joint statement by Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley which said the BJP has full faith in Nitin Gadkari.
As per the joint statement, the party had asked S Gurumurthy of the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS), who is also a noted chartered accountant, to look into the matter.
Gurumurthy, after going through the relevant documents in the case, today said in a presentation before the Core Group meeting that no legal or moral wrongdoing was done by Nitin Gadkari.
Prasad said the party endorses Gadkari’s stand on facing a probe.
Further, clarifying as to why party veteran LK Advani skipped the Core Group meeting, Prasad said because Gurumurthy had explained his findings to the former BJP president in detail earlier in the day.
Reports had earlier said that Advani skipped the crucial meeting as he was apparently unhappy over his continuance in the post.
Advani chose not to go to the meeting in the party office on a day of hectic activities triggered by the demand for Gadkari`s resignation by party MP Ram Jethmalani in the wake of allegations of dubious funding for his company Purti.
Just before the Core Group meeting, senior leaders Sushma Swaraj, Ananth Kumar and Balbir Punj met Advani, apparently to persuade him not to push for Gadkari`s exit.
Earlier, Swaraj tweeted to "reiterate" her support to Gadkari and deny media reports that she was not supporting him.
The Core Group meeting topped a series of consultations among senior leaders, with Gadkari driving to the residences of Swaraj and Arun Jaitley to discuss the situation.
A day after his son Mahesh quit the BJP National Executive protesting against Gadkari`s continuance, Jethmalani raised the pitch for the resignation of the party chief and claimed that some other senior leaders like Jaswant Singh, Yashwant Sinha and Shatrughan Sinha were with him on the issue.
Gurumurthy appeared to take the role of a mediator as he met Advani and later Jethmalani in a bid to persuade him to relent on the issue.
Jethmalani said he would like to check the documents on the basis of which Gadkari is claiming innocence.
Meanwhile, two senior party leaders Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Vinay Katiyar held a separate meeting and are understood to have shared the view that BJP`s image had suffered because of allegations against Gadkari and something needed to be done immediately.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly