BJP backs Nitin Gadkari, says no legal or moral wrongdoing
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday came out in full support its embattled chief Nitin Gadkari, who has been facing corruption allegations in relation to the shareholding pattern of Purti Group of Companies.
Addressing the press here after a late evening meeting of the BJP Core Group, senior party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad read out a joint statement by Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley which said the BJP has full faith in Nitin Gadkari.
As per the joint statement, the party had asked S Gurumurthy of the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS), who is also a noted chartered accountant, to look into the matter.
Gurumurthy, after going through the relevant documents in the case, today said in a presentation before the Core Group meeting that no legal or moral wrongdoing was done by Nitin Gadkari.
Prasad said the party endorses Gadkari’s stand on facing a probe.
Further, clarifying as to why party veteran LK Advani skipped the Core Group meeting, Prasad said because Gurumurthy had explained his findings to the former BJP president in detail earlier in the day.
Reports had earlier said that Advani skipped the crucial meeting as he was apparently unhappy over his continuance in the post.
Advani chose not to go to the meeting in the party office on a day of hectic activities triggered by the demand for Gadkari`s resignation by party MP Ram Jethmalani in the wake of allegations of dubious funding for his company Purti.
Just before the Core Group meeting, senior leaders Sushma Swaraj, Ananth Kumar and Balbir Punj met Advani, apparently to persuade him not to push for Gadkari`s exit.
Earlier, Swaraj tweeted to "reiterate" her support to Gadkari and deny media reports that she was not supporting him.
The Core Group meeting topped a series of consultations among senior leaders, with Gadkari driving to the residences of Swaraj and Arun Jaitley to discuss the situation.
A day after his son Mahesh quit the BJP National Executive protesting against Gadkari`s continuance, Jethmalani raised the pitch for the resignation of the party chief and claimed that some other senior leaders like Jaswant Singh, Yashwant Sinha and Shatrughan Sinha were with him on the issue.
Gurumurthy appeared to take the role of a mediator as he met Advani and later Jethmalani in a bid to persuade him to relent on the issue.
Jethmalani said he would like to check the documents on the basis of which Gadkari is claiming innocence.
Meanwhile, two senior party leaders Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Vinay Katiyar held a separate meeting and are understood to have shared the view that BJP`s image had suffered because of allegations against Gadkari and something needed to be done immediately.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla