BJP befooling people with cheap politics: Congress
New Delhi: Criticizing the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi has said that the main opposition party has been playing double-standards and is befooling people with their cheap politics.
"We have been repeatedly saying this that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has double standards. Today, we want to lead the country to progress, we want to take decision for the betterment of the people of this country, but BJP is trying to obstruct every move of the government," said Alvi.
"The work which they used to do during their tenure used to be right but the when we do the same then we are wrong," he added.
Backing the allowance of foreign direct investment in multiple sectors in India, Alvi said that the UPA government is committed to economic reforms.
Alvi told media here that the government has already taken steps on reforms and the goal set will positively be achieved.
"UPA government is committed for economic reforms and CWC also has a resolution for this and Prime Minister has clearly given the statement over this issue. The government will further work on it and many steps have already been taken on reforms. We have set our goal and we will follow it," said Alvi.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, decided to allow up to 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail sector as well as the aviation and broadcasting segments.
The decision provoked a political backlash, with the Trinamool Congress (TMC) pulling out of the UPA government, prompting talks of mid-term polls.
However, the Congress continued on its position of majority, backed by the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and regional Samajwadi Party (SP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow