BJP boycotts Sanjay Nirupam over Smriti Irani barb
New Delhi: Irked by Congress member Sanjay Nirupam’s personal attack on TV actress-turned-politician Smriti Irani during a debate on a TV news channel, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Friday took a tough stand on the issue.
Addressing a press conference, BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad informed that Smiriti Irani has filed a defamation case against Nirupam.
During a debate on a news channel on the issue of Narendra Modi`s hat-trick of victories in Gujarat, Nirupam told Irani: "Char din hue hain aur aap rajnitik vishleshak bani firti hain. Aap toh TV pe thumke lagati thi, aaj chunavi vishleshak ban gayi (It`s only four days of your entry into politics and you have become a political analyst...Till some time ago you were dancing on the TV screens and now you have become a psephologist)!"
Slamming Nirupam for his statements, the Rajya Sabha MP said leaders like him were responsible for promoting rowdiness among youth.
Nirupam`s remarks sparked an uproar and the BJP today described the Congress MP’s
behaviour as the `most unfortunate which cannot be described in words.`
“None of our spokesmen will sit with Nirupam on any TV debate,” announced Prasad, underlining that the party has taken the personal attack made by Nirupam as very seriously.
Prasad further demanded action by Congress president Sonia Gandhi against Nirupam.
“We would like Sonia Gandhi to take action against Sanjay Nirupam and apologise herself,” he said, adding otherwise the BJP would protest against the Congress chief.
Meanwhile, Nirupam on Twitter tried to defend himself by saying: “Smriti Irani things taken out of context people have to see the full debate and understand the context.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!