BJP boycotts Sanjay Nirupam over Smriti Irani barb
New Delhi: Irked by Congress member Sanjay Nirupam’s personal attack on TV actress-turned-politician Smriti Irani during a debate on a TV news channel, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Friday took a tough stand on the issue.
Addressing a press conference, BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad informed that Smiriti Irani has filed a defamation case against Nirupam.
During a debate on a news channel on the issue of Narendra Modi`s hat-trick of victories in Gujarat, Nirupam told Irani: "Char din hue hain aur aap rajnitik vishleshak bani firti hain. Aap toh TV pe thumke lagati thi, aaj chunavi vishleshak ban gayi (It`s only four days of your entry into politics and you have become a political analyst...Till some time ago you were dancing on the TV screens and now you have become a psephologist)!"
Slamming Nirupam for his statements, the Rajya Sabha MP said leaders like him were responsible for promoting rowdiness among youth.
Nirupam`s remarks sparked an uproar and the BJP today described the Congress MP’s
behaviour as the `most unfortunate which cannot be described in words.`
“None of our spokesmen will sit with Nirupam on any TV debate,” announced Prasad, underlining that the party has taken the personal attack made by Nirupam as very seriously.
Prasad further demanded action by Congress president Sonia Gandhi against Nirupam.
“We would like Sonia Gandhi to take action against Sanjay Nirupam and apologise herself,” he said, adding otherwise the BJP would protest against the Congress chief.
Meanwhile, Nirupam on Twitter tried to defend himself by saying: “Smriti Irani things taken out of context people have to see the full debate and understand the context.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now