BJP calls for an independent agency to grant parole
New Delhi: BJP today demanded setting up of
an independent agency to grant parole to people languishing in
jails following the Delhi High Court`s observation that the
city government extended preferential treatment to Jessica
Lall murder convict Manu Sharma.
"A separate agency should be set up to decide on granting
parole to prisoners languishing in jails in the city as the
Government only gives parole to the powerful people," senior
BJP leader V K Malhotra told reporters.
The Delhi High Court yesterday came down heavily on the
city government for giving preferential treatment to Sharma in
granting parole while neglecting such pleas of "poor" people
languishing in jail for years.
The court directed the government to take an unbiased
approach while dealing with parole pleas and asked it to
decide all the 98 pending parole applications within a month.
Malhotra also criticised Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit
for not clarifying her stand on the issue.
Sharma was released from jail on parole on September 22
but he returned to Tihar jail on November 10 before expiry of
his two-month parole following mounting criticism that he
violated norms under which he was granted the benefit by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes