BJP calls for an independent agency to grant parole
New Delhi: BJP today demanded setting up of
an independent agency to grant parole to people languishing in
jails following the Delhi High Court`s observation that the
city government extended preferential treatment to Jessica
Lall murder convict Manu Sharma.
"A separate agency should be set up to decide on granting
parole to prisoners languishing in jails in the city as the
Government only gives parole to the powerful people," senior
BJP leader V K Malhotra told reporters.
The Delhi High Court yesterday came down heavily on the
city government for giving preferential treatment to Sharma in
granting parole while neglecting such pleas of "poor" people
languishing in jail for years.
The court directed the government to take an unbiased
approach while dealing with parole pleas and asked it to
decide all the 98 pending parole applications within a month.
Malhotra also criticised Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit
for not clarifying her stand on the issue.
Sharma was released from jail on parole on September 22
but he returned to Tihar jail on November 10 before expiry of
his two-month parole following mounting criticism that he
violated norms under which he was granted the benefit by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands