BJP calls homosexuality unnatural, says cannot support it
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Spelling out its stand on the controversial Section 377, the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has described homosexuality as “an unnatural act” which “cannot be supported”.
BJP president Rajnath Singh has stated that his party will support Section 377 that bans gay sex and makes it punishable with upto life imprisonment.
"Gay sex is not natural and we cannot support something which is unnatural," the BJP chief reportedly said.
Singh further said the BJP will oppose any move to nullify the Supreme Court verdict upholding homosexuality as a criminal offence.
The SC earlier this week set aside a Delhi High Court order of 2009 that decriminalised homosexuality in India.
The remarks came amid speculation that the Union government may file a review or curative petition in the apex court against the two-judge bench order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah