BJP calls PM, Sonia visit to Muzaffarnagar as `secular tourism`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Monday hit out at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi, and vice president Rahul Gandhi for visiting riot-affected localities in Muzaffarnagar district over a week after communal violence broke out in the region claiming 47 lives.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi, and vice president Rahul Gandhi will visit Muzaffarnagar district today.
BJP national vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, however, described the visit by the trio as "nothing but secular tourism on communal riots".
"The wounds of the people cannot be healed by doing this. It is completely secular tourism on communal riots and nothing else," Naqvi said.
After their arrival in Muzaffarnagar at around 10:00 AM, the PM along with Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi will visit the rural Shahpur locality along with local leaders and administration officials.
They are expected to go to relief camps at Basikalan, Tawli and Sanjhak.
Communal clashes erupted in Muzaffarnagar on September 07 after simmering discontent over a molestation case of August 27 which subsequently led to three people being killed in a clash.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday visited the riot-hit areas of Muzaffarnagar and met the families of some of the victims.
Speaking to reporters after meeting the families of the three youths killed on August 27, Akhilesh Yadav who has been criticised for not doing enough to control the conflagration, termed the outbreak of violence "very sad".
He said his government will provide justice to the victims and take strong action against all those who took part in the violence.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth