BJP calls Rahul Gandhi`s elevation `family inheritance`
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday reacted to Rahul Gandhi`s appointment as the Congress vice president by raising questions over his potential, saying it has to be seen whether the nation accepts him as a leader on the basis of "family inheritance".
"The world`s largest democracy cannot be put to risk by risking ourselves in the hands of those whose actual potential we do not know, whose opinion on various subject we do not know, whose policy with regard to various issues we do not know," BJP leader Arun Jaitley told a gathering in Bangalore.
Without naming Gandhi, he said that BJP`s own leader will be selected on basis of his leadership abilities and not on the basis of "family inheritance".
"The best among us will become the first amongst equals. He will not be on the (basis of) name or surname or a family claim of inheritance. He will be only on the basis of his proven ability," Jaitley said.
BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi was more candid in his criticism.
"At their place (Congress), the Prime Ministerial candidate is born in a cradle but here (BJP) he is born out of hard work and valour. They need to understand the difference between a party where PM candidate is born in a cradle and the one where he is born out of hard work and valour," Naqvi told reporters here.
Asked to comment on Congress` point of view that Rahul Gandhi is a national leader, he said it will be decided by the people.
Naqvi also alleged that the purpose of Congress Chintan Shivir was only aimed at elevating Gandhi.
"To me it feels more like a program for the ‘yuvraj’ (Gandhi) than a Chitan Shivir.
Congress can make him international leader, it is their wish. What is more important here is the nation`s acceptance. Only people will decide whether he is national or international leader," he said.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- 1971 Indo-Pak war: 'Dusting was Indira Gandhi's stress-buster'
- House of Representative Speaker Paul Ryan invites PM Modi to address joint meeting of US Congress
- Ramdev sees 'Indianess' in Priyanka, finds Sonia a 'staunch Catholic'; wants Rahul to be strong
- Who were four Indian Prime Ministers who addressed US Congress before Modi
- Efforts on to revive dying Hindon river: Uma Bharti