BJP calls Rahul Gandhi`s elevation `family inheritance`
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday reacted to Rahul Gandhi`s appointment as the Congress vice president by raising questions over his potential, saying it has to be seen whether the nation accepts him as a leader on the basis of "family inheritance".
"The world`s largest democracy cannot be put to risk by risking ourselves in the hands of those whose actual potential we do not know, whose opinion on various subject we do not know, whose policy with regard to various issues we do not know," BJP leader Arun Jaitley told a gathering in Bangalore.
Without naming Gandhi, he said that BJP`s own leader will be selected on basis of his leadership abilities and not on the basis of "family inheritance".
"The best among us will become the first amongst equals. He will not be on the (basis of) name or surname or a family claim of inheritance. He will be only on the basis of his proven ability," Jaitley said.
BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi was more candid in his criticism.
"At their place (Congress), the Prime Ministerial candidate is born in a cradle but here (BJP) he is born out of hard work and valour. They need to understand the difference between a party where PM candidate is born in a cradle and the one where he is born out of hard work and valour," Naqvi told reporters here.
Asked to comment on Congress` point of view that Rahul Gandhi is a national leader, he said it will be decided by the people.
Naqvi also alleged that the purpose of Congress Chintan Shivir was only aimed at elevating Gandhi.
"To me it feels more like a program for the ‘yuvraj’ (Gandhi) than a Chitan Shivir.
Congress can make him international leader, it is their wish. What is more important here is the nation`s acceptance. Only people will decide whether he is national or international leader," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review