BJP calls Rahul`s padyatra ‘political tour’
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday said Rahul Gandhi`s
padyatra in Uttar Pradesh would be treated merely as a
"political tour" unless the Congress governments increase land
acquisition compensations to farmers in states like
Maharashtra and explain why farmer suicides were taking place.
"Gandhi should first go into the questions of why 10
lakh farmer suicides have taken place in the country. Before
asking the UP government what injustice it is doing to
farmers, he should answer why injustice was done and
atrocities visited on the unarmed, innocent people at Ramlila
grounds by the police," BJP President Nitin Gadkari said.
He was replying to questions from the media at the
party headquarters here.
Gadkari also sought answers from Gandhi on deaths caused
by hunger due to increasing prices.
Gandhi, who started his padyatra at Bhatta-Parsaul
villages in Greater Noida four days back, today held a Kisan
Mahapanchayat at Aligarh. At the well-attended public meeting
he lashed out at the Mayawati government in UP over its
anti-farmer compensation policy for the agriculturists whose
land was acquired by the state government.
"The land acquisition compensation in Maharashtra is
even less that UP. Farmers are exploited there. If Gandhi
stops this then people will believe him else this is just a
political tour," Gadkari said.
He further asked Gandhi to clarify why tear gas was
used on the crowd at Ramlila ground, women, children and
sadhus beaten mercilessly when they had "not even thrown a
stone" at the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow