BJP calls Rahul`s padyatra ‘political tour’
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday said Rahul Gandhi`s
padyatra in Uttar Pradesh would be treated merely as a
"political tour" unless the Congress governments increase land
acquisition compensations to farmers in states like
Maharashtra and explain why farmer suicides were taking place.
"Gandhi should first go into the questions of why 10
lakh farmer suicides have taken place in the country. Before
asking the UP government what injustice it is doing to
farmers, he should answer why injustice was done and
atrocities visited on the unarmed, innocent people at Ramlila
grounds by the police," BJP President Nitin Gadkari said.
He was replying to questions from the media at the
party headquarters here.
Gadkari also sought answers from Gandhi on deaths caused
by hunger due to increasing prices.
Gandhi, who started his padyatra at Bhatta-Parsaul
villages in Greater Noida four days back, today held a Kisan
Mahapanchayat at Aligarh. At the well-attended public meeting
he lashed out at the Mayawati government in UP over its
anti-farmer compensation policy for the agriculturists whose
land was acquired by the state government.
"The land acquisition compensation in Maharashtra is
even less that UP. Farmers are exploited there. If Gandhi
stops this then people will believe him else this is just a
political tour," Gadkari said.
He further asked Gandhi to clarify why tear gas was
used on the crowd at Ramlila ground, women, children and
sadhus beaten mercilessly when they had "not even thrown a
stone" at the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes