BJP can go to any extent to seek votes: Digvijay Singh
Guna: Accusing BJP of trying to polarise masses in states where it was not in power, senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Sunday said that the party can "go to any extent to seek votes".
Responding to a query on the recent violence in Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh, Singh said, "BJP can go to any extent to seek votes. It can even try to seek votes on the basis of bodies."
Recent clashes in Muzaffarnagar district claimed at least 47 lives and displaced over 40,000 people.
Taking a dig at BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, the Congress general secretary said, "If at all Modi happens to be a problem, he will be a problem for BJP not (for) Congress".
Referring to last week`s rally addressed by Modi in Jaipur, which had seen Muslim men and women turning up in their traditional attire, Singh said, "BJP can say Muslims may come to meetings addressed by Modi wearing burqas and skull caps... (But) if Congress does something like this, it is called appeasement of Muslims".
While claiming BJP never believed in communal harmony, Singh said that, "Congress on the other hand has always stood for peace and brotherhood which cannot be destroyed at any cost".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India