BJP can go to any extent to seek votes: Digvijay Singh
Guna: Accusing BJP of trying to polarise masses in states where it was not in power, senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Sunday said that the party can "go to any extent to seek votes".
Responding to a query on the recent violence in Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh, Singh said, "BJP can go to any extent to seek votes. It can even try to seek votes on the basis of bodies."
Recent clashes in Muzaffarnagar district claimed at least 47 lives and displaced over 40,000 people.
Taking a dig at BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, the Congress general secretary said, "If at all Modi happens to be a problem, he will be a problem for BJP not (for) Congress".
Referring to last week`s rally addressed by Modi in Jaipur, which had seen Muslim men and women turning up in their traditional attire, Singh said, "BJP can say Muslims may come to meetings addressed by Modi wearing burqas and skull caps... (But) if Congress does something like this, it is called appeasement of Muslims".
While claiming BJP never believed in communal harmony, Singh said that, "Congress on the other hand has always stood for peace and brotherhood which cannot be destroyed at any cost".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing