BJP cautions govt against appointing army chief before May 16
New Delhi: Amid reports that the Defence Ministry has initiated the process of appointing Vice Army Chief Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag as next Army Chief, BJP today sounded a word of caution to the government on the "hurry" and asked it to avoid taking decisions till elections are over.
The present army chief Gen Bikram Singh retires on July 31.
"I am not going into the specifics of any particular name but surely on the larger issue of naming the next General and reports about Lokpal appointment, we expect that when we are in the midst of elections, when the Model Code of Conduct is in force, at least till 16th of May all these things must be avoided," BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
Former Army Chief Gen V K Singh, when asked, said government should not "hurry" on making such appointments.
"There is still time for retirement of the present Army Chief and the UPA government should not hurry in making any appointment at this point of time," Gen Singh told.
He, however, refused to comment on any particular individual when asked if he was against the appointment of Lt Gen Suhag as the next Army Chief.
The former Army chief, who has joined BJP and is contesting as its candidate from Ghaziabad, had days before his retirement initiated action against Suhag and imposed a disciplinary and vigilance ban, which was later lifted by the present Army Chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’