BJP condemns Shinde`s decision to probe snooping row
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday criticised Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on his decision to probe the snooping allegations against its prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and the Gujarat government.
Attacking the Congress, senior BJP leader Nitin Gadkari said the Congress is using Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to target the opposition and wants to scare the people through it.
"I want to ask him (Shinde), does he have any right to probe this? There are some powers for the Centre and some for the states. So which of these is he exercising now? It is purely vindictive it has only one motive. That is to target the members of the opposition party, whether it is Mayawati, Mulayam or it is Shibu Soren," he said.
Meanwhile BJP leader Capt. Abhimanyu, echoing similar sentiments, said these days politicking has become his (Shinde) top priority.
"Home Minister should do everything under the Constitution, law of India to protect the interests of the citizens of this country and in fact, should be taking the terror threat, the anti-national elements more seriously and we expect him to discharge his duties towards the safety and security of the country in a more responsible manner, rather than politicking," he added.
Earlier on Sunday, Shinde had said a probe would be conducted. He also said that the investigating agencies have been authorized to take action against snooping.
News portals Cobrapost and Gulail had aired an alleged taped conversation between former State Home Minister of Gujarat Amit Shah, and police officer GL Singhal.
In the alleged taped conversation, Shah was instructing Singhal to closely monitor the movements of the woman referred to in the report as "Madhuri", not her real name.
The Gujarat government headed by Narendra Modi, has set up a two-member panel of former judge Sugunaben Bhatt and retired bureaucrat KC Kapoor to probe charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets