BJP, Cong slugfest over Rushdie issue
New Delhi: A political slugfest broke out on Monday over the Salman Rushdie controversy with the BJP slapping charges of "match fixing" on the Congress which hit back accusing the saffron party of playing a "dangerous" game
on a sensitive issue.
"It is a clear case of match fixing between intelligence
agencies and jehadis in which the Congress government of
Rajasthan played a supportive and active role," BJP`s chief
spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad said.
He said Congress was using the issue to gain political
mileage in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh. Prasad also alleged that
Congress deliberately communalised UP politics citing Digvijay
Singh, who termed the Batla House encounter as fake.
Arun Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha said,
the government should have provided protection to
Rushdierather than stage managing his absence with a concocted
Rushdie had cancelled his visit to the Jaipur Literature
Festival, saying he had received information from intelligence
sources in Rajasthan and Maharashtra that "paid assassins"
had been engaged to eliminate him if he turned up at the
Reacting sharply to the BJP attack, Congress spokesperson
Abhishek Singhvi said,"it is much more than a case of the pot
calling the kettle black or the thief accusing the
policeman...BJP`s talking about communalism is worse than
devil quoting the scriptures. It is utter hypocrisy of that
Singhvi said the government of India had made it clear
there was no ban on Rushdie visiting the country as he is a
PIO card holder and does not require a visa.
By raking up the Rushdie issue now, BJP is "flogging a
dead horse," Singhvi said while accusing the Opposition party
of playing a very dangerous game if it is saying that the
Rajasthan government should not have shared with or alerted
the Home Ministry or agencies about the inputs.
He said the same BJP would have then attacked Government
citing intelligence inputs if anything untward had happened.
Singhvi accused BJP of seeing every issue from the "prism
of communalism" and doing politics over a sensitive matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh