BJP contemplating privilege motion against Sibal
New Delhi: Seeking to corner the
government, BJP on Friday said it was "seriously" examining the
possibility of bringing a privilege motion against Telecom
Minister Kapil Sibal for announcing a probe into the 2G
spectrum allocation from 2001 at a time when Parliament is in
"Our Lok Sabha colleagues are seriously examining the
possibility (to move a privilege motion against Sibal)...the
motion can be brought in the House of which the minister is a
member," Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley
told reporters here.
Earlier in the day, BJP veteran Murli Manohar Joshi
said that the manner in which Sibal made the announcement "is
highly objectionable and may invite privilege".
"The general practice is not to make any policy
announcement outside the House when Parliament is in session,"
Sibal had yesterday announced appointment of a
one-man committee of retired Supreme Court Justice Shivaraj V
Patil to probe the alleged irregularities in the allocation of
2G spectrum since 2001, a period involving the NDA regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family