BJP core group meets today, focus on 2014 polls
New Delhi: With a focus on the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, the core group of the main opposition party BJP will meet on Friday for the first time since Rajnath Singh took over as the party’s national president.
According to reports, the BJP top brass will discuss the party`s strategy for the Lok Sabha elections scheduled to be held in 2014. The deliberations will also focus on the upcoming national council meet of the party.
BJP sources say that the parliamentary board of the party will be reconstituted and senior leaders will be allotted various organizational responsibilities keeping in mind the assembly elections in several states this year and the 2014 General Elections.
The core group meeting comes a day after the top BJP and the RSS leaders met to chalk out a strategy for the fast approaching polls. It is believed that BJP and the RSS is planning to shift the focus on the issue of the Ram Mandir in Ayodhya. The Sangh Parivar wants BJP to announce a time line for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya.
Giving a larger role to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who has emerged as the top contender for the prime minister’s post, and the upcoming Sangh-backed saints meet at the Mahakumbh in Allahabad are also likely to be discussed.
The BJP and RSS may also appoint Modi as the head of the party`s campaign committee soon.
Yesterday’s meet was attended by new party president Rajnath Singh, BJP veteran LK Advani, Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and the RSS leaders- Bhaiyaji Joshi and Suresh Soni.
After the meeting, Singh told reporters, "There is no question of a clash with RSS. I am the president of BJP and a member of RSS, so where is the question of a clash?"
Quashing suggestions of pressure from the Sangh in BJP`s appointments, he said, "In such meetings, we have never discussed who should be office bearers of BJP or in the government. The Parliamentary board is the correct forum for deciding on who will be our prime ministerial candidate should be."
Singth had earlier urged party leaders to exercise restraint while airing their views on their choice for the prime minister’s post.
His remarks came in the backdrop of senior BJP leaders Yashwant Sinha, CP Thakur and Ram Jethmalani voicing their open support to Narendra Modi`s candidature for the top job.
The party has been officially maintaining that it will take a decision on its PM candidate at an appropriate time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!