BJP creates obstacles in passage of quota bill in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Faced with opposition from within over support to the controversial bill for quota in government job promotions, BJP on Thursday created obstacles in its passage in Lok Sabha arguing that the original text had undergone changes and more time was needed to study it.
BJP appeared to be of the view that the bill, passed by Rajya Sabha, should be referred for a review by the Supreme Court. The main opposition also insisted that the bill requires elaborate discussions as the original draft has undergone several changes in Rajya Sabha during passage.
When Personnel Minister V Narayansamy rose to move the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill, 2012 for consideration and passage around noon, SP members trooped into the Well of the House and shouted slogans against it.
Though this was expected, it also came as a respite to BJP which apprehended some of its members may openly voice their dissent to the bill during discussion. Some of the members had reportedly threatened to even vote against it.
In the midst of the din, senior BJP leader L K Advani was on his feet seeking to speak on the subject, but was not allowed as P L Punia (Cong) was speaking after the Chair asked him to do so. This angered BJP members who termed it as an insult to the main opposition.
After two brief adjournments, when the House re-assembled at 1.15 PM, BJP members also rushed into the Well raising slogans `pratipaksh ka aisa apmaan, nahi chalega (insult of the opposition will not be tolerated)`.
During the adjournment period, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Science and Technology Minister S Jaipal Reddy were seen talking to Advani and Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj.
Both the ministers then briefed Congress President Sonia Gandhi on their discussion with the BJP leaders.
BJP members were also requesting Yadav to control his members so that Advani could speak. As the appeals fell on deaf ears, Ananth Kumar (BJP) was heard warning Yadav that he would also not be allowed to speak next time.
Amid persistent uproar, the Speaker adjourned the House till 2 PM. When the House re-assembled, similar scenes were witnessed and Deputy Speaker Karia Munda adjourned the House for another 30 minutes.
Similar scenes were witnessed when the House re-assembled at 2.30 PM. As noisy scenes continued, the Chair adjourned the House till 4 PM.
During the adjournment, Kamal Nath was again seen reaching out to Swaraj, Advani and Mulayam. Social Justice Minister Kumari Selja was also seen talking to Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow