BJP cries "neglect of Hindi" in Games hoardings
New Delhi: The ruling BJP in MCD today
claimed that the hoardings and banners for Commonwealth Games
put up in various parts of the city have been printed in
English alone and dubbed it as an "insult" to Indian culture.
Leader of the MCD House Subhash Arya said if Hindi was
not given its due respect in a week, Hindi-lovers will be
"compelled to add" words in the national language on the blank
space in the banners and posters.
"The hoardings, banners and posters put up at various
sites in the city for the ensuing Commonwealth Games have been
printed in English alone, thereby neglecting Hindi," the BJP
leader said and termed it as "an insult" to Indian culture.
"Nowhere in the world the national language is so bluntly
ignored and humiliated," he said at the inauguration of the
`Hindi Week` organised by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi
at its headquarters in Town Hall.
Arya said that he has written letters to Union Sports
Minister M S Gill and Chairman of the Organising Committee
Suresh Kalmadi urging them to give proper honour and
importance to Hindi within a period of one week.
He said that if it is not done, then Hindi lovers will be
"compelled" to add "Swagatam" and "Commonwealth Games 2010" in
Hindi on the blank space in the banners and posters.
Arya said that MCD has given 36 sites free of cost to the
Organising Committee. Even on this count, MCD`s sentiments
should be respected, he said.
Chairman of MCD Standing Committee Yogender Chandolia
went to the extent of offering financial help to Commonwealth
Games Committee for printing Hindi banners in case it finds
itself financially incapable of doing so.
Mayor Prithvi Raj Sawhney appealed the government to
promote the cause of Hindi in the United Nations and said that
the national language should be given its due place in
"If we neglect Hindi, how can we expect international
community to honour Hindi?" he asked.
The Mayor also released MCD`s magazine `Nigam Alok` on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- EPFO likely to raise equity investment to 10%
- West Indies vs India: Statistical highlights — Records for Saha, pace pair Shami and Yadav
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read
- Govt begins search for Bankruptcy Board chief