BJP criticises President`s address to Parliament
New Delhi: Terming as a "damp squib" President Pranab Mukherjee`s joint address to Parliament, BJP on Thursday said the speech did not touch upon relevant issues like price rise and corruption.
"It is a damp squib as it has not actually touched what is relevant today and we are very disappointed," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy told reporters outside Parliament after the President`s address.
Rudy also dubbed the address as a "old one".
"I think he read the old speech because there was nothing new thing in the speech," Rudy said.
In the hour-long maiden address to the joint sitting of Parliament, Mukherjee touched upon various issues like slower growth of economy and steps to deal with factors responsible for the slowdown.
"The President has given a joint statement in both Houses. It has not referred to the issue of corruption after all. UPA government is besieged with charges of corruption especially in the latest copter case," Rudy said.
He said the government did not talk about corruption deliberately.
"Since this seems to be the last joint session before the election, I think by design government has chosen not to talk about corruption and other factors about inflation and price rise, which is affecting every household. Petrol and diesel prices are constantly going up," he said.
Attacking the Prime Minister, the BJP leader said, "The Prime Minister is an economist and the economic growth has shrunk to 5 per cent from 9 per cent. Unfortunately, the President has not touched upon it (in his speech)."
Rudy said, "The President did not address the basic issues of corruption and price rise that the country is facing today. The problem of corruption was also avoided by him. For example the recent allegation of corruption in AgustaWestland helicopter deal was not there."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy