BJP dares Cong to include non-Hindu superstitions in Bill
Bangalore: Opposing proposed legislation on anti-superstition and black magic in Karnataka, BJP on Thursday challenged the Congress Government to include superstitions practised by non-Hindu communities in the proposed legislation before it was tabled in assembly.
"There are so many superstitions practised by non-Hindu communities also in Karnataka. Let the Siddaramaiah Government include these practices in the proposed bill before tabling it in both Houses of the legislature," State BJP President Prahalad Joshi told reporters here.
Maintaining that the proposed bill, to be tabled during the upcoming winter session of Assembly at Belgaum, "hurts the Hindu sentiments," he threatened that BJP would stall the session if the government tabled it.
"We will do our best to oppose this proposed bill. We will not allow the session to run, if the government tables it in both Houses," he said.
Under the proposed Karnataka Prevention and Eradication of Human Sacrifice and Other Inhuman Evil and Gory Practices and Blackmagic Bill, 2013, promoters of various such practices exploiting people would be brought to book.
The bill also proposes the setting up of Karnataka Anti-Superstition Authority at the state-level and vigilance committees on superstitious practices at district levels for prevention and control of superstitious practices and protection of those exposed to their ill-effects.
He said there was no need for the government to enact law for bringing changes in Hindu society as Hindus have been relinquishing beliefs and practices from time to time.
"Reforms comes naturally for Hindus. There is no need for enacting laws to bring changes," Joshi said.
Replying to a query, Joshi said the Karnataka Government should not commit a mistake as Maharashtra had done by enacting such a law on superstition.
On providing security to BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, he said the centre should provide SPG cover to the Gujarat Chief Minister for holding rallies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside