BJP decries Telangana honour for Sania Mirza: Who said what
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: The BJP on Wednesday criticised Telangana for appointing tennis star Sania Mirza its brand ambassador and giving her a grant, saying she is a non-local and "daughter-in-law" of Pakistan.
K Laxman, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader in the Telangana Assembly, alleged the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) did this to appease minorities in view of the coming elections to the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation.
Here are some of the political reactions:
Congress leader Manish Tewari: This is a bizarre controversy.
Environment and Forest Minister Prakash Javdekar: We are proud of Sania Mirza. The BJP has no objection to her becoming the brand ambassador of Telangana.
Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati: We should welcome Telangana government`s decision of choosing Sania Mirza as its brand ambassador.
CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury: Sania is an Indian and plays for India. It is not a big issue.
Congress member Gaurav Gogoi: This is an unfortunate controversy. Sania Mirza has made India proud at the world stage.
BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi: If someone says this, it reflects his culture.
Rajya Sabha MP V Hanumantha Rao: She (Sania Mirza) never fought for Telangana. Moreover, she is married to a Pakistani. People will not appreciate this decision.
Telangana Rashtra Samiti MP K Kavitha: It is the decision of Telangana government and it should be respected. Sania is an Indian citizen.
TRS leader K Keshava Rao: This is foolish talk. We don`t care what is being said. She is an international achiever.
Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader Jay Panda: Wherever she may have married, but she is an Indian citizen. This should be respected.
BJP leader Subramanian Swamy: Well this is a point. BJP`s stand is well taken.
Social activist Kiran Bedi: Sania Mirza is the daughter of India. She has brought innumerable laurels to the country in the game of Tennis. She is a brand ambassador! When Sania wins, she wins for India and Pakistan. The more the better. Let both countries gain from her hard work. She is an inspiration for youth.
Aam Aadmi Party leader Ashutosh: BJP should apologise for the statement on Sania Mirza. Such statements are not good for democracy. It undermines the spirit of Constitution.
Former sports minister MS Gill: Every Indian is allowed to marry whoever they want and wherever they want.
Communist Party of India (Marxist) leader Brinda Karat: Only a pervert and twisted mind can give such a statement. The comment must be dismissed outright.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured