BJP decries Telangana honour for Sania Mirza: Who said what
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: The BJP on Wednesday criticised Telangana for appointing tennis star Sania Mirza its brand ambassador and giving her a grant, saying she is a non-local and "daughter-in-law" of Pakistan.
K Laxman, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader in the Telangana Assembly, alleged the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) did this to appease minorities in view of the coming elections to the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation.
Here are some of the political reactions:
Congress leader Manish Tewari: This is a bizarre controversy.
Environment and Forest Minister Prakash Javdekar: We are proud of Sania Mirza. The BJP has no objection to her becoming the brand ambassador of Telangana.
Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati: We should welcome Telangana government`s decision of choosing Sania Mirza as its brand ambassador.
CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury: Sania is an Indian and plays for India. It is not a big issue.
Congress member Gaurav Gogoi: This is an unfortunate controversy. Sania Mirza has made India proud at the world stage.
BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi: If someone says this, it reflects his culture.
Rajya Sabha MP V Hanumantha Rao: She (Sania Mirza) never fought for Telangana. Moreover, she is married to a Pakistani. People will not appreciate this decision.
Telangana Rashtra Samiti MP K Kavitha: It is the decision of Telangana government and it should be respected. Sania is an Indian citizen.
TRS leader K Keshava Rao: This is foolish talk. We don`t care what is being said. She is an international achiever.
Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader Jay Panda: Wherever she may have married, but she is an Indian citizen. This should be respected.
BJP leader Subramanian Swamy: Well this is a point. BJP`s stand is well taken.
Social activist Kiran Bedi: Sania Mirza is the daughter of India. She has brought innumerable laurels to the country in the game of Tennis. She is a brand ambassador! When Sania wins, she wins for India and Pakistan. The more the better. Let both countries gain from her hard work. She is an inspiration for youth.
Aam Aadmi Party leader Ashutosh: BJP should apologise for the statement on Sania Mirza. Such statements are not good for democracy. It undermines the spirit of Constitution.
Former sports minister MS Gill: Every Indian is allowed to marry whoever they want and wherever they want.
Communist Party of India (Marxist) leader Brinda Karat: Only a pervert and twisted mind can give such a statement. The comment must be dismissed outright.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account