BJP defends Narendra Modi`s speech
New Delhi: While keeping mum about who would be its prime ministerial candidate, the BJP Monday strongly defended Narendra Modi`s on Sunday speech slamming the Congress.
Modi, who is being seen as a likely contender for the prime minister`s post from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Sunday lashed out against the Congress and the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty, saying that the Congress had always kept the "family" above the nation.
"Whatever Modi said, he said it with certification," BJP spokesperson Sayed Shahnawaz Hussain said Monday.
He also flayed Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar for calling Modi a "snake" and a "scorpion". "Scorpions and snakes come out from Mani Shankar Aiyar`s mouth," he said.
Asked whether the BJP had accepted Modi as its prime ministerial contender, Hussain said: "We have said that this decision would be taken by the parliamentary board at an appropriate time. Party president Rajnath Singh has also asked leaders not to comment on the issue, so I will not make any further comments."
Asked if the Wharton School cancelling Modi`s lecture meant he was yet to be accepted internationally, Hussain said: "Modi never organised the lecture, the university invited him. In democracy, the acceptance of people is all that matters."
Asked about Modi`s praise for President Pranab Mukherjee, Hussain played it down saying BJP had a "big heart" and praised those who deserved it.
Modi, in his speech at the BJP`s national council meet Sunday, called Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a "night-watchman" and heaped praise upon Mukherjee, saying he would have been a better prime minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport