BJP defends Nitish govt in graft case
Patna: With the Patna High Court ordering a
CBI probe into alleged financial irregularities of Rs 11,412
crore against the Bihar government, ruling ally BJP today said
this was "not a scam but a simple matter of accounts
Talking to reporters after the state executive meeting
here, senior BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said, "We respect
the judiciary but the NDA government is yet to receive a copy
of the Patna High Court ruling...we will reply threadbare
after going through the order."
Prasad, accompanied by state BJP chief C P Thakur, said
the CAG report was "tentative" and the Public Accounts
Committee (PAC) was going through the report.
A division bench of Patna High Court headed by Chief
Justice Rekha M Doshit and Justice S K Katriar on July 15 had
ordered a CBI inquiry into alleged financial irregularities of
Rs 11,412 crore in execution of many development schemes
including MNREGA and mid-day meal, in Bihar between April 1,
2002 and March, 2008.
Prasad said article 151 (part 2) of the Constitution said
that CAG before tabling its report in the Assembly or to the
Lok Sabha should place the report before the PAC and added "it
is not a scam but a matter of accounts adjustments."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest