BJP demand for early monsoon session laughable: Tewari
New Delhi: Union minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday took a dig at Opposition BJP saying its demand for an early monsoon session to discuss the food security bill is "laughable" as it did not let the budget session to function smoothly.
"You did not allow the budget session to function because you thought that cheap politics over it would help you in Karnataka. You lost badly in Karnataka," he told reporters.
"So those who did not allow the budget session, those who over the demand for formation of a Joint Parliamentary Committee sacrificed the Winter Session of Parliament in 2010, they are now demanding a monsoon session. There cannot be anything more laughable than this," he said.
Tewari said the government was firm on enacting the food security legislation and added that it may choose the manner of implementation from any of the options available.
"The intent to bring the food security law is firm. We have to provide 80 crore Indians, rice at the price of Rs 3 per kilo, wheat at Rs 2 per kilo and coarse grain at Rs 1 per kilo. On how to implement it, the options are open," he said when asked if the government planned to issue an ordinance, call a special session or advance the monsoon session.
When asked if the government will bring an ordinance even when the food security bill is introduced in Parliament, he said there was no provision which stopped the government from doing so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution
- Massive reef ecosystem found hiding behind Great Barrier Reef