BJP demand for early monsoon session laughable: Tewari
New Delhi: Union minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday took a dig at Opposition BJP saying its demand for an early monsoon session to discuss the food security bill is "laughable" as it did not let the budget session to function smoothly.
"You did not allow the budget session to function because you thought that cheap politics over it would help you in Karnataka. You lost badly in Karnataka," he told reporters.
"So those who did not allow the budget session, those who over the demand for formation of a Joint Parliamentary Committee sacrificed the Winter Session of Parliament in 2010, they are now demanding a monsoon session. There cannot be anything more laughable than this," he said.
Tewari said the government was firm on enacting the food security legislation and added that it may choose the manner of implementation from any of the options available.
"The intent to bring the food security law is firm. We have to provide 80 crore Indians, rice at the price of Rs 3 per kilo, wheat at Rs 2 per kilo and coarse grain at Rs 1 per kilo. On how to implement it, the options are open," he said when asked if the government planned to issue an ordinance, call a special session or advance the monsoon session.
When asked if the government will bring an ordinance even when the food security bill is introduced in Parliament, he said there was no provision which stopped the government from doing so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!