BJP demand for early monsoon session laughable: Tewari
New Delhi: Union minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday took a dig at Opposition BJP saying its demand for an early monsoon session to discuss the food security bill is "laughable" as it did not let the budget session to function smoothly.
"You did not allow the budget session to function because you thought that cheap politics over it would help you in Karnataka. You lost badly in Karnataka," he told reporters.
"So those who did not allow the budget session, those who over the demand for formation of a Joint Parliamentary Committee sacrificed the Winter Session of Parliament in 2010, they are now demanding a monsoon session. There cannot be anything more laughable than this," he said.
Tewari said the government was firm on enacting the food security legislation and added that it may choose the manner of implementation from any of the options available.
"The intent to bring the food security law is firm. We have to provide 80 crore Indians, rice at the price of Rs 3 per kilo, wheat at Rs 2 per kilo and coarse grain at Rs 1 per kilo. On how to implement it, the options are open," he said when asked if the government planned to issue an ordinance, call a special session or advance the monsoon session.
When asked if the government will bring an ordinance even when the food security bill is introduced in Parliament, he said there was no provision which stopped the government from doing so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof