BJP demands Antony`s resignation for naval incidents
New Delhi: BJP on Friday demanded the resignation of Defence Minister A K Antony asking him to take moral responsibility for a series of accidents involving naval warships.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said that from Sindhurakshak to Sindhuratna, 10 naval accidents in 10 months showed "how bad is the state of affairs in which the Navy is functioning".
He alleged UPA government was responsible for this "sorry state of affairs" as it has consistently neglected this vital arm of the defence forces.
"The Naval Chief has resigned. In reality, the buck stops at the door of the Defence Minister. The nation is asking the Prime Minister and the Defence Minister why they are not disturbed by the loss of life and property as well as loss of face of the nation.
Therefore, the Defence Minister must take moral responsibility and resign forthwith," he said.
Mourning the loss of lives of two Navy officers in the accident, he said it is a serious issue and someone at the top must take moral responsibility for it.
Claiming that the "lowest" priority is accorded to the Navy by the present government, he said no new procurement is being made and the Navy has to make do with outdated equipment.
He said the "glaring neglect" of the Navy has been pointed out by the Standing Committee on Defence in its various reports while discussing the budget allocation and procurement equipments for the force. Javadekar is a member of the panel.
The BJP leader said many submarines are aged and in a depleted condition as they were procured more than a quarter century ago.
He said the Navy is even short of sufficient funds for regular upkeep and necessary maintenance of many occasions.
"In the recent accident of `Sindhu Ratna` also, the old batteries could not be replaced during refitting because of delay in contracting. This resulted in the tragic accident," he said adding CAG has also pointed out these deficiencies in its reports of 2008-09 and 2010-11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22