BJP demands arrest of Nandy for remarks at JLF
Jammu: Strongly condemning the controversial remarks made by sociologist Ashish Nandy over SC and ST communities, BJP Anusuchit(SC) Jaati Morcha on Monday demanded that the author be immediately booked and put behind the bars.
"A comment by an intellectual author is a crime for which Ashish Nandy should be immediately booked and put behind the bars," state president, BJP AJM, Surinder Bhagat told reporters here.
Bhagat said that whatever has been said by Nandy has insulted the people of OBC, SC and ST communities across the country and there is wide spread resentment and anger against him.
Nandy had kicked up a storm at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday with his remarks that "most of the corrupt come from the OBCs, SCs and STs", drawing the ire of many prominent figures including BSP chief Mayawati. An FIR was also lodged against him following his statement.
Nandy had later issued a clarification, saying he was trying to make the point that corruption among Dalits was noticeable, while that of the rich was not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning