BJP demands arrest of Nandy for remarks at JLF
Jammu: Strongly condemning the controversial remarks made by sociologist Ashish Nandy over SC and ST communities, BJP Anusuchit(SC) Jaati Morcha on Monday demanded that the author be immediately booked and put behind the bars.
"A comment by an intellectual author is a crime for which Ashish Nandy should be immediately booked and put behind the bars," state president, BJP AJM, Surinder Bhagat told reporters here.
Bhagat said that whatever has been said by Nandy has insulted the people of OBC, SC and ST communities across the country and there is wide spread resentment and anger against him.
Nandy had kicked up a storm at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday with his remarks that "most of the corrupt come from the OBCs, SCs and STs", drawing the ire of many prominent figures including BSP chief Mayawati. An FIR was also lodged against him following his statement.
Nandy had later issued a clarification, saying he was trying to make the point that corruption among Dalits was noticeable, while that of the rich was not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'