BJP demands arrest of Nandy for remarks at JLF
Jammu: Strongly condemning the controversial remarks made by sociologist Ashish Nandy over SC and ST communities, BJP Anusuchit(SC) Jaati Morcha on Monday demanded that the author be immediately booked and put behind the bars.
"A comment by an intellectual author is a crime for which Ashish Nandy should be immediately booked and put behind the bars," state president, BJP AJM, Surinder Bhagat told reporters here.
Bhagat said that whatever has been said by Nandy has insulted the people of OBC, SC and ST communities across the country and there is wide spread resentment and anger against him.
Nandy had kicked up a storm at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday with his remarks that "most of the corrupt come from the OBCs, SCs and STs", drawing the ire of many prominent figures including BSP chief Mayawati. An FIR was also lodged against him following his statement.
Nandy had later issued a clarification, saying he was trying to make the point that corruption among Dalits was noticeable, while that of the rich was not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery