BJP demands CBI inquiry into CWG corruption
New Delhi: Armed with reports stating massive corruption, the BJP has approached the CBI to register cases of graft and conspiracy in alleged irregularities worth several crores of rupees in construction of CWG stadia.
A complaint claiming financial bungling and other irregularities has been given by BJP`s RTI Cell to CBI director AP Singh, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former Comptroller and Auditor General VK Shunglu for necessary action.
It demands registration of FIRs under different sections of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act against Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, sacked CWG OC chief Suresh Kalmadi, contractors concerned and firms involved in the
"We have sent complaints to the CBI director, the Prime Minister and VK Shunglu requesting them to file cases in CWG corruption," Vivek Garg, National Convener - RTI Cell of BJP, said.
In reply to an RTI query filed by Garg, it was found that the cost of construction of five Commonwealth Games venues by CPWD escalated by over Rs 1,110 crore than the original sanctioned amount.
Besides, over Rs 20 crore were spent on installing CCTV cameras in three other stadiums, developed by PWD, in the national capital.
The CPWD had renovated Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium Complex, Indira Gandhi Stadium Complex, Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Swimming Pool Complex, Major Dhyanchand National Stadium and Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range for the CWG held here between October 03 and 14, 2010.
"A consolidated sum of Rs 1,000 crore (plus or minus 10 percent) was sanctioned for these stadiums initially. No stadium wise cost was approved. Later, revised sanction for Rs 2,460 crore was accorded by Cabinet," the CPWD has said in the RTI reply.
Interestingly, an amount of Rs 345.12 crore still remains un-utilised by the construction agency, it has said.
The Central Vigilance Commission and CBI are probing into financial and administrative irregularities in several Games-related projects. The Prime Minister appointed the Shunglu Committee has also found series of irregularities in executing Games-related projects.
"We will also be approaching court seeking legal intervention in directing the CBI to register FIRs in all CWG related bungling," Garg claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested