BJP demands CBI probe into PC`s role in 2G scam
New Delhi: With a Delhi court framing
charges against 17 persons in 2G case, BJP today demanded a
CBI probe to ascertain the role of then Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the scam and insisted that he should either
step down or be sacked to facilitate a fair investigation.
A special CBI court today framed charges like criminal
conspiracy, breach of trust, cheating and forgery against
former Telecom Minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi and 15
others, including top corporate honchos, paving the way for
their trial in the multi-crore 2G spectrum scam.
"There are sufficient prima facie charges to prove they
are guilty. We hope the trial happens speedily and justice is
done. However, questions do remain about those not
chargesheeted, who are not being investigated or even
questioned for their role in the 2G scam," BJP spokesperson
Nirmala Sitharaman said.
BJP maintained that a Cabinet decision taken in 2003
states that decisions by the Telecom Ministry were to be taken
only after consultations and go-ahead of the Finance Ministry.
"This implies that decisions in the 2G spectrum
allocation were taken with the consent of the cabinet, the
Finance Minister and the Prime Minister. A Raja had engaged in
a criminal conspiracy. The ex-minister continues to say that
this particular charge can equally apply to the then Finance
Minister (Chidambaram)," Sitharaman said.
BJP demanded that Chidambaram should either resign
from the post of Home Minister or be removed and a CBI probe
under the supervision of the Supreme Court be ordered to
ascertain his role in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details