BJP demands complete autonomy for CBI, CVC, CAG
Hyderabad: With the Centre forming a GoM to draft a law to insulate CBI from external influences, BJP on Tuesday demanded that steps also be taken to make Central Vigilance Commission and Comptroller Auditor General completely autonomous.
"As Public Accounts Committee (PAC) Chairman, I had suggested that not only the CBI, but also the CVC, the CAG and the director of CBI should be made completely autonomous," BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters here.
Though the CAG is an autonomous body, the manner of appointment to the top post is still in the hands of the government, he said.
In the wake of the Supreme Court`s scathing observations about the CBI, the government today formed a Group of Ministers (GoM) to draft a law to insulate the probe agency from external influences.
Joshi said for appointment of the CBI director, he had suggested constituting a selection committee presided by the CJI, comprising the Prime Minister, Leaders of the Opposition of both Houses of Parliament and the Union Home Minister.
To make appoints to the CAG, he said he had suggested that the CVC and the Union Finance Minister should be involved.
The CBI should be delinked from the Delhi Police Act and a separate act, in consultation with state governments, should be made since law and order is a state subject, he said.
In the case of the Election Commission too, the selection of Election Commissioners should not remain solely the government`s prerogative, he said.
Referring to the elections in Pakistan, he said the formation of a democratically-elected government would lead to stability in the neighbouring country, help elimination of poverty, unemployment and other such ills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!