BJP demands complete autonomy for CBI, CVC, CAG
Hyderabad: With the Centre forming a GoM to draft a law to insulate CBI from external influences, BJP on Tuesday demanded that steps also be taken to make Central Vigilance Commission and Comptroller Auditor General completely autonomous.
"As Public Accounts Committee (PAC) Chairman, I had suggested that not only the CBI, but also the CVC, the CAG and the director of CBI should be made completely autonomous," BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters here.
Though the CAG is an autonomous body, the manner of appointment to the top post is still in the hands of the government, he said.
In the wake of the Supreme Court`s scathing observations about the CBI, the government today formed a Group of Ministers (GoM) to draft a law to insulate the probe agency from external influences.
Joshi said for appointment of the CBI director, he had suggested constituting a selection committee presided by the CJI, comprising the Prime Minister, Leaders of the Opposition of both Houses of Parliament and the Union Home Minister.
To make appoints to the CAG, he said he had suggested that the CVC and the Union Finance Minister should be involved.
The CBI should be delinked from the Delhi Police Act and a separate act, in consultation with state governments, should be made since law and order is a state subject, he said.
In the case of the Election Commission too, the selection of Election Commissioners should not remain solely the government`s prerogative, he said.
Referring to the elections in Pakistan, he said the formation of a democratically-elected government would lead to stability in the neighbouring country, help elimination of poverty, unemployment and other such ills.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview