BJP demands court-monitored CBI probe into Vadra`s land deals
New Delhi: The BJP Tuesday demanded a court-monitored CBI inquiry into the alleged land deals of Robert Vadra, son-in-law of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, claiming that the Rajasthan government had given him "red-carpet treatment" and bent rules to favour companies linked to him.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesman Prakash Javadekar told reporters at a press conference here that land deals of Vadra were "much beyond business of private individual".
"It resulted in windfall to a private person. This is P4 - public policy for private people," he said.
Javadekar alleged the Haryana government had also extended undue favours to Vadra.
Both states are ruled by the Congress.
The BJP leader alleged that unsecured loans were given to firms linked to Vadra for purchase of land and then parts of the same land were then brought back at hefty rates.
"We demand court-monitored CBI probe of all land deals of Robert Vadra," he said, also taking a dig at Vadra by referring to him as "jijaji (brother-in-law)" (of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi).
"CWG, 2G and now jijaji," Javadekar said referring to opposition`s allegations of scams during the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
BJP MP from Bikaner Arjun Ram Meghwal, who was present at the press conference, said the central government had approved 722 companies for solar power production and the state government was supposed to create land bank in Bikaner and some other areas of Rajasthan.
The land, he said, was supposed to be provided free or at a nominal price for solar power and alleged Vadra gave power of attorney to a man called Mahesh Nagar to start purchasing land and companies were formed for the purpose.
He said large purchases of land were made without attracting any attention either from the income tax authorities or the enforcement directorate.
"The central government is also involved," the BJP MP alleged.
Meghwal said most land was purchased near power stations.
"Companies who seek land are told by the state authorities that no land is available. They have to, per force, purchase land from companies linked to Robert Vadra," Meghwal alleged.
He claimed that land was being sold at rates several times higher than those at which it was purchased.
Meghwal also alleged that amendments to land ceiling act were made by the state government to benefit Vadra.
"What was source of (Vadra`s) money, " he said and added that land purchased from farmers cannot be traded.
Another party MP from Rajasthan VP Singh Badnore said Vadra got red-carpet treatment from the state government.
"Mutations were done in a day. All this to benefit the son-in-law. It is a sequel to Haryana land scam," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues