BJP demands death sentence for Headley, seeks his extradition
New Delhi: BJP on Friday demanded death penalty for LeT terrorist David Headley, the plotter of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, and asked the Centre to press for his extradition from the US to face trial in India to find out the larger conspiracy by Pakistan-based elements.
"This case is related to attack on Mumbai and Headley should be extradited to India and the trial be held here. In fairness of justice, he should be sent to India," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said here.
"The sentence handed down to Headley is perhaps for the death of six Americans killed on Indian soil. What about the other people killed across Mumbai in the ghastly act? BJP demands justice for them, which is only possible when Headley is brought to India to be tried by our courts," Rudy said.
He said the sentence was only "partial" as it was awarded by a US court under their laws for the killing of American citizens.
Rudy said "we want him to be tried like Ajmal Kasab. No Indian can settle for less than death sentence for Headley...We demand from the government of India to bring Headley to India without delay as the crime was committed on Indian soil," he said.
The 52-year-old Pakistani-American was sentenced by a Chicago court to 35 years in jail for the Mumbai terror attack.
Headley had entered into a plea bargain with the US investigators under which he escaped death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi