BJP demands death sentence for Headley, seeks his extradition
New Delhi: BJP on Friday demanded death penalty for LeT terrorist David Headley, the plotter of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, and asked the Centre to press for his extradition from the US to face trial in India to find out the larger conspiracy by Pakistan-based elements.
"This case is related to attack on Mumbai and Headley should be extradited to India and the trial be held here. In fairness of justice, he should be sent to India," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said here.
"The sentence handed down to Headley is perhaps for the death of six Americans killed on Indian soil. What about the other people killed across Mumbai in the ghastly act? BJP demands justice for them, which is only possible when Headley is brought to India to be tried by our courts," Rudy said.
He said the sentence was only "partial" as it was awarded by a US court under their laws for the killing of American citizens.
Rudy said "we want him to be tried like Ajmal Kasab. No Indian can settle for less than death sentence for Headley...We demand from the government of India to bring Headley to India without delay as the crime was committed on Indian soil," he said.
The 52-year-old Pakistani-American was sentenced by a Chicago court to 35 years in jail for the Mumbai terror attack.
Headley had entered into a plea bargain with the US investigators under which he escaped death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez