BJP demands national refugee policy
Kolkata: Expressing concern over the violence in Bangladesh, BJP president Rajnath Singh on Monday called for a national policy for rehabilitation and relief of refugees.
"I demand that the government should have a national policy for rehabilitation and relief for refugees coming from Bangladesh," Singh told reporters here.
He said that there should be consensus on handing over enclaves to Bangladesh.
"On the land border issue with Bangladesh, we want good relations with them. But at the same time India should also secure its own interest," Rajnath said.
"We have heard that India will hand over 111 enclaves to Bangladesh, which is about 17,000 acres and Bangladesh will hand over 51 enclaves, which is about 7000 acres. We are calling this gap of 10000 acres, a national loss," he said.
"Before taking any decision the government should go for a consensus with all political parties," Singh said.
The crucial land boundary issue involves exchange of 111 Indian enclaves in Bangladesh and 51 Bangladeshi enclaves in India.
The issue has been hanging for several years as additional protocols for the 1974 Land Boundary Agreement had to be formalised. The protocols were signed during the 2011 visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Dhaka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29