BJP demands PM`s resignation for fair probe in ‘coalgate’
Mumbai: Demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, BJP on Wednesday said an independent probe in the coal allocation scam was not possible till he occupies the top post.
Party Vice-President Balbir Punj told reporters here that the CBI which had acted swiftly in the Rail scam, involving Pawan Bansal, has chosen not to show enough activism in the Coalgate investigation.
"Some action has been taken against bribe givers, but not against bribe takers in the Coalgate," the BJP leader alleged.
Law Minister Ashwini Kumar had to quit because he was involved in the cover up operation of this fraud, he said.
According to Punj, CBI should have interrogated Singh who held the Cabinet portfolio of coal department for a significant period of time.
"All the Ministers of State (for coal) Dasari Narayan Rao, Santosh Bargodia and Sriprakash Jaiswal during this period were from the Congress and not alliance partners," he said.
"It is impractical and impossible to expect CBI to reach out to the masterminds of the scam with Manmohan Singh occupying the office of the Prime Minister," he alleged.
To a question why BJP was not bringing a no-confidence motion against the UPA, Punj claimed that his party was not doing it at the moment since the "floor management with respect to Samajwadi party and BSP was done by the CBI."
Congress was forced to sack Bansal and Kumar due to BJP`s pressure, Punj claimed.
"The Parliament session ended two days before schedule and the two ministers were asked to resign just to give a message that the sacking was not done due to opposition pressure," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video