BJP demands probe into `blackout` of LS proceedings
New Delhi: BJP on Friday demanded a high-level probe by experts and representatives of political parties into "blackout" of live coverage in Lok Sabha when the contentious Telangana Bill was taken up for passage on February 18 and said the Presiding officers should take responsibility for it.
Senior party leader Venkaiah Naidu said the prestige of Parliament was at stake and thus accountability should be fixed for the "blackout" incident.
He expressed apprehensions that it could not have happened suddenly without the knowledge of Presiding officers.
"I would like to demand who is responsible for this blackout in Lok Sabha. Who has ordered this?...There should be a high-level inquiry not by officials, but by experts as well as representatives of political parties. The prestige of Parliament is at stake," he said.
Naidu said, "The Presiding Officers also should take the responsibility. Things cannot happen without the knowledge of Presiding officers. Accountability should be fixed."
The BJP leader said the parties and Parliamentarians have become a laughing stock before the nation due to the episode.
"I am concerned that why this blackout happened in Lok Sabha and they should explain to the people. The truth must come out and accountability should be fixed," Naidu said.
"How can suddenly as and when Congress wish in their mind, suddenly there is a technical problem.... When the bill is introduced, taken out, when the bill is discussed, taken out," he said.
He said he apprehended that there would be blackout of live coverage in the Rajya Sabha also when the Telangana Bill came up for discussion, as had happened in Lok Sabha, but it did not happen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state