BJP demands SC-monitored probe into chopper deal
New Delhi: The main opposition BJP on Wednesday demanded a Supreme Court-monitored, time-bound probe into the Rs 3,600 crore AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal.
Taking part in a debate in the Rajya Sabha on the issue, BJP leader Prakash Javadekar said all those who were the beneficiary in the deal must be bought to book, whether they are in Italy or India. Also, those in Italy should be brought to India to face law, he added.
“Money trail must also be established. Further, Letter Rogatory (LRs) must be issued,” Javadekar demanded.
The BJP leader also accused Defence Minister AK Antony of presiding over the most corrupt ministry, demanding that he be made answerable for the scams.
Javadekar said over Rs 400 crore bribes were paid to seal the deal to supply 12 VVIP helicopters to India. The BJP leader also indicated money laundering was involved in the case.
Hitting out at the Congress, Javadekar said the ruling party has a pattern when it comes to scams.
“In all scams, the Congress first denies the existence of scam. Second, it delays the probe. Third, it blames the allies or bureaucrats. Fourth, it acts only if forced by the courts and that too in a haphazard manner,” he told the House.
The debate comes amid speculation that the government will today offer a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probe into the VVIP chopper deal.
Amid the Opposition attack, the government has already made it clear that it is open for a JPC probe into the issue.
“We are open for a Joint Parliamentary Committee if this satisfies everybody,” Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath had recently said.
The deal has snowballed into a major controversy, especially after former Air Force chief SP Tyagi was named by the CBI in a Preliminary Enquiry into allegations of kickbacks in the chopper deal.
Besides the former IAF chief, 10 others including his cousins -- Julie, Docsa and Sandeep Tyagi -- have also been named along with four companies in the PE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'