BJP demands SIT probe in Maharashtra irrigation scam
Pune: Maharashtra BJP on Thursday alleged that administrative work in the government had come to "standstill" as a result of internal bickering between Congress and NCP and demanded a SIT probe into the alleged irrigation scam.
"Corruption and infighting between the two coalition partners - Congress and NCP - has affected decision making process, bringing the state administration to a standstill," BJP state unit president Sudhir Mungantiwar told reporters here.
Mungantiwar demanded a SIT (special investigation team) probe in the alleged irregularities in irrigation projects under direct supervision of the High Court to book the "real culprits".
"Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan should take people into confidence and outline terms of reference of the proposed white paper on the state irrigation projects. The inquiry should not only cover departmental officials but also the corrupt leaders. The white paper should not become a white lie," the BJP leader said.
If the state government failed to bring out a proper white paper on the irrigation scams, BJP would further intensify its agitation on the issue, he said.
Replying to a question, Mungantiwar defended the?sharing of the dais by senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde with city Congress MP Suresh Kalmadi at the recently held Ganesh festival.
"Munde attended the felicitation function because he was invited. He had aggressively criticised Kalmadi in Parliament (for CWG scam). There is no need to interpret the incident in a different way," he said.
Mungantiwar also announced a month-long campaign starting today by the state BJP to mobilise people against "corrupt Congress government" to save the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic