BJP demands white paper on damage caused by cloudburst
Dehradun: Opposition BJP on Tuesday asked the Uttarakhand government to come out with a white paper on the massive destruction caused by the recent cloudburst in Uttarkashi district which left 28 people dead and rendered thousands homeless.
BJP also boycotted an all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna to discuss relief measures to be adopted in the calamity-hit areas,
accusing the state government of being insensitive to the plight of affected people.
"It is a month since the calamity occurred, leaving a trail of death and destruction, a large number of villages washed away and thousands rendered homeless. The meeting was called a bit too late and there is no point in attending it," former chief minister and BJP leader Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank told reporters.
Lashing out at the government for being "callous" to the misery of the cloudburst-hit people, he said it must immediately come out with a white paper assessing the extent of damage caused by the calamity.
Government still does not know how much damage has been caused to public property and people in the incident, he alleged, adding ministers were going on foreign tours while people were suffering.
Pokhariayal also accused the ministers and state authorities of not properly touring the affected areas.
Claiming that BJP leaders including state unit chief Bishan Singh Chufal and Leader of Opposition in state Assembly Ajay Bhatt had toured the region, he said affected people are full of grievances against the government.
He also slammed the state government for having earlier proposed running loss making sugar mills of Uttarakhand on a PPP mode.
"The inaction of the government in the face of a crisis like this shows that the official machinery itself may have to be run on PPP mode," Pokhariayal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'