BJP derides PM`s remarks on Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s remarks that Rahul Gandhi would be ideal for the top post saw the BJP holding the Congress Vice-President equally responsible for corruption and price rise while the ruling party said it is for him to decide.
"If the Prime Minister wants to work under Rahul Gandhi it is his concern. The bigger question is whether the country is ready to accept Rahul Gandhi as the PM. The recent surveys show the mood of the nation is that it wants change," Deputy Leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He maintained that if Manmohan Singh is responsible for the problems facing the country- be it corruption, price rise or the roadblocks in development projects- then Sonia Gandhi and son Rahul are no less responsible for it.
"The rest is upto Manmohan Singh... But the country has decided what it wants," he said.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid endorsed the Prime Minister`s remarks and said as head of the government whatever he says is a direction for the ministers.
"If he says something clearly we will support that and walk on the way shown by him. We also know the desire of the workers and leaders in the party and our wish is to give shape to that desire and to fulfil it," he said.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla maintained that the decision should be left to Sonia Gandhi and Rahul.
"Not only Prime Minister Manmohan Singh but every Congress worker wants Rahul Gandhi to lead the nation. They want him to become the Prime Ministerial candidate. We all want it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family