BJP dispatches relief material for Uttarakhand victims from Lucknow
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Wednesday dispatched relief materials and first instalment of funds collected by the members of the party for flood survivors in Uttarakhand.
Initially, the reports had claimed that BJP president Rajnath Singh would flag off the relief material.
But later, Singh tweeted that all state units have been directed by the party "not to flag off relief material as it hurts the human sensibilities".
According to Singh, eight trucks, carrying relief materials for Uttarakhand, and Rs 56,06,994 in cash, collected by UP BJP, have been dispatched as a "symbolic gesture from Lucknow to Uttarakhand".
Rajnath Singh, who arrived here on a two-day visit today for the first time after taking over as BJP chief earlier this year, was greeted at the party headquarters.
The former UP chief minister and two-time BJP national president will interact with party officials and workers, they said.
Accompanied by BJP`s state in-charge Amit Shah, the party chief is likely to interact with senior party functionaries and take stock of the preparations for the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls, an office-bearer of the BJP state unit said.
On Thursday, Rajnath Singh will interact with the media in the Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow and spell out his party`s priorities.
Uttarakhand was ravaged by flash floods and landslides following heavy rains and cloud bursts about 10 days ago. While the state government puts the death toll in the disaster-hit north Indian state at 845, over 7,500 still remain stranded as heavy rains and fog are disrupting relief operations.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH