BJP dispatches relief material for Uttarakhand victims from Lucknow
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Wednesday dispatched relief materials and first instalment of funds collected by the members of the party for flood survivors in Uttarakhand.
Initially, the reports had claimed that BJP president Rajnath Singh would flag off the relief material.
But later, Singh tweeted that all state units have been directed by the party "not to flag off relief material as it hurts the human sensibilities".
According to Singh, eight trucks, carrying relief materials for Uttarakhand, and Rs 56,06,994 in cash, collected by UP BJP, have been dispatched as a "symbolic gesture from Lucknow to Uttarakhand".
Rajnath Singh, who arrived here on a two-day visit today for the first time after taking over as BJP chief earlier this year, was greeted at the party headquarters.
The former UP chief minister and two-time BJP national president will interact with party officials and workers, they said.
Accompanied by BJP`s state in-charge Amit Shah, the party chief is likely to interact with senior party functionaries and take stock of the preparations for the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls, an office-bearer of the BJP state unit said.
On Thursday, Rajnath Singh will interact with the media in the Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow and spell out his party`s priorities.
Uttarakhand was ravaged by flash floods and landslides following heavy rains and cloud bursts about 10 days ago. While the state government puts the death toll in the disaster-hit north Indian state at 845, over 7,500 still remain stranded as heavy rains and fog are disrupting relief operations.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state