BJP dissociates itself from Sangma’s move to challenge Pranab
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday dissociated itself from any move by P A Sangma to challenge Pranab Mukherjee`s election as the President in the Supreme Court, saying such a decision would be in his personal capacity.
The party said it has already welcomed Mukherjee as the 13th President of the country and if Sangma plans to file an election petition against his election, it would be in his individual capacity.
"We would like to make it clear if Sangma takes such a step, then it will be his personal choice. As far as BJP and NDA is concerned, post-election we have welcomed the election of the President of India and we would not like to link this to the party or to the NDA," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
The BJP also made it clear that "it would be his (Sangma`s) own propriety as a candidate or an individual" to challenge Mukherjee`s nomination and the party was not discussing this at all.
When asked specifically if the party had ended its concerns on the propriety of Mukherjee`s nomination, Rudy said, "I think so. It is obvious. We are all a part of this Constitution...It`s over (for us)."
Sangma, who lost the presidential election to Mukherjee, has been contemplating filing an election petition challenging the former Union Minister`s nomination.
The former Lok Sabha Speaker`s team had alleged that Mukherjee was holding an office of profit as Chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute, as well as two other institutions, when he filed his nomination papers and his (Mukherjee`s) resignation letter had forged signatures.
When asked about BJP leader Satya Pal Jain being part of Sangma`s legal team which filed the objections, Rudy said "the party cannot ask anyone to dissociate and it would be in his personal capacity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'