BJP dividing Hindus and Muslims: Mamata Banerjee
Bagnan: In the backdrop of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s `I`m a Hindu nationalist, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday accused BJP of dividing Hindus and Muslims.
"A bigger Hindu than Ramakrishna Paramamahamsa and Swami Vivekananda ?" she asked at a panchayat election rally here in Howrah district without naming anyone.
"Hindus and Muslims are the flowers of same branch and we care for both," Banerjee said and alleged BJP wanted to `divide the Hindus and the Muslims` but the state government would not allow anyone to fomment riots.
Her remarks came close on the heels of Modi kicking up a political storm by saying he had done `absolutely the right thing` during the 2002 Gujarat riots and describing himself as a `Hindu nationalist`.
Banerjee accused CPI(M) of using BJP to split anti-Marxist votes in Bengal and asked the electorate to be careful in not wasting a single vote.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know