BJP dividing Hindus and Muslims: Mamata Banerjee
Bagnan: In the backdrop of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s `I`m a Hindu nationalist, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday accused BJP of dividing Hindus and Muslims.
"A bigger Hindu than Ramakrishna Paramamahamsa and Swami Vivekananda ?" she asked at a panchayat election rally here in Howrah district without naming anyone.
"Hindus and Muslims are the flowers of same branch and we care for both," Banerjee said and alleged BJP wanted to `divide the Hindus and the Muslims` but the state government would not allow anyone to fomment riots.
Her remarks came close on the heels of Modi kicking up a political storm by saying he had done `absolutely the right thing` during the 2002 Gujarat riots and describing himself as a `Hindu nationalist`.
Banerjee accused CPI(M) of using BJP to split anti-Marxist votes in Bengal and asked the electorate to be careful in not wasting a single vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video