BJP dubs Karnataka Governor `partial`, demands his recall
New Delhi: Hitting out at Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj, the Bhartiya Janata Party on Tuesday said that the political crisis in the state is a creation of the Governor and demanded that the Centre recall him at the earliest.
Senior party leader and Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said that the crisis has been deliberately generated by the Governor and accused him of using Raj Bhavan for "political purposes".
"He has defied all norms of political impartiality and constitutionality," the senior BJP leader said. Jaitley was talking to reporters after one round of the
Core Group meeting of BJP.
The BJP government in Karnataka has been in the thick of a crisis since 11 of the partymen, along with five Independents, rebelled against the leadership of Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa.
The Chief Minister won a confidence motion in the state assembly by voice vote amidst chaotic scenes Monday, but Governor Bhardwaj recommended President`s rule in the state. The Governor also gave Yeddyurappa a "fresh opportunity" to prove majority in the house again by Oct 14.
Jaitley pointed out five “facts” to prove that all constitutional norms have be defied in the state.
He said, “Firstly, the Governor allowed the Raj Bhavan to be used for political purposes, for the purpose of destabilizing the government and horse-trading. Leaders of the Congress, JD(S) and the MLAs who had defied anti-defection law have been virtually operating out of Raj Bhawan.”
“Secondly, the constitutional mandate – anti-defection law - mandates that you (MLAs) relinquish your membership of the Assembly if you go against the government. But, he (Governor) writes to the Speaker to ask him not to exercise the anti-defection law. It is unprecedented.”
“Thirdly, he writes to the Speaker, almost threatening him, that if he takes action under the anti-defection law, then the verdict of the Assembly will not be acceptable.”
“Fourthly, after the Assembly has recorded the vote of confidence, we understand that he has written to the Centre seeking action under Article 356 (President’s Rule)”.
“And, today he writes to the CM, saying the verdict is not acceptable. In his letter, the Governor uses the word farcical...the Governor has completely lost his authority and cannot be the custodian of the Constitution. He should be recalled immediately by the Centre,” Jaitely said.
Another senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu also reacted angrily to the moves by the Governor, he said, “The Governor must resign and join politics if he so wants.”
Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa, who attended the BJP Core
Group meeting chaired by party President Nitin Gadkari, is
likely to meet President Pratibha Patil to prove that his
party still holds majority in the state Assembly.
"I will not comment on what the Governor said. My
party president is capable of speaking on the issue,"
Yeddyurappa said reacting to Bhardwaj`s offer to him to seek a
trust vote afresh.
The Chief Minister charged, "Right from day one, the
Governor is acting as a Congress agent."
Yeddyurappa said he would be consulting party MLAs on
the issue later in the day.
With Speaker K G Bopaiah disqualifying 11 rebel party
MLAs and five independents, the effective strength of the
Karnataka Assembly has been reduced to 208. As such, the BJP
government claims support of 106 members, two more than the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof