BJP evasive if it favours parliamentary test for govt majority
New Delhi: BJP was on Friday evasive whether it would demand a floor test in Parliament to determine if the Manmohan Singh-led government enjoyed a majority following withdrawal of support to it by Trinamool Congress.
"Today is an important day for the nation as half a dozen ministers of the anti-common man UPA government are resigning from it. This government has become a burden on the common man and these resignations are paving the way for freeing the people from it," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
He described the resignation of the TMC ministers as a "good step and pro-people. BJP congratulates TMC for abandoning the sinking ship of the UPA government," Hussain said.
However, asked if BJP would demand that a special session of Parliament be convened and the government`s strength be put to test, the main opposition was evasive.
"As a responsible opposition, we are at the moment keeping a keen eye on the developments taking place," Hussain said while insisting that with TMC withdrawing support the government does not enjoy a majority.
BJP hit out at Samajwadi Party for acting as "oxygen" for the government which has "failed" to check price rise and has taken anti-people measures like allowing FDI in multi-brand retail and rationing of LPG.
"Samajwadi Party has taken to the streets, it has created the confusion of being with the Opposition but is also supporting the government," Hussain said.
He charged that while SP Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav claims to support UPA to keep communal forces at bay, Uttar Pradesh under SP rule is the only state which is witnessing frequent communal riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Rains keep mercury near normal in several parts of country
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government