BJP expels Ram Jethmalani for `breach of discipline`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday expelled noted lawyer and Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani from the party`s primary membership.
The BJP expelled Jethmalani for six years over “breach of discipline”.
In a letter to Jethmalani, BJP general secretary Ananth Kumar on Tuesday said the party’s parliamentary board had taken a unanimous decision on Monday to expel him from membership of the party.
“The central parliamentary board after considering all your replies, responses and letters was of the unanimous opinion that you have indulged in a breach of discipline. The parliamentary board, therefore, decided to expel you for a period of six years from the primary membership of the Party,” the letter stated.
The MP`s expulsion follows his continued open defiance of party`s policies and leaders.
Recently, Jethmalani had called on the BJP leadership to take a call on his suspension.
He had earlier said that the BJP leadership was being soft on the corruption-tainted UPA government.
Jethmalani was earlier suspended by the party for his tirade against the then chief Nitin Gadkari in 2012.
Jethmalani will now continue as an independent MP in the Upper House of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway