BJP eyes 272 plus seats in 2014 polls; Narendra Modi underlines need to woo minorities
New Delhi: To make "Mission 272+" for Lok Sabha polls a success, BJP`s top leadership on Sunday asked its state units to strengthen the organisation from the booth-level, and reach out to prospective voters from all segments and age-groups.
In a meeting of the Central leadership with the state unit president and organisation general secretaries held here on Sunday, BJP Election Campaign Committee Chief Narendra Modi and party president Rajnath Singh said the mood in the country is strongly against Congress and the main opposition is the only viable alternative.
"Modi spoke on how the BJP campaign in the run-up to the elections should be conducted. He emphasised on how it is important to bring the voter to the polling booth and said the party workers should meet this challenge. He also said there is a need to strengthen the support base and increase it further," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
During his speech, Modi said BJP should reach out to all sections, including minorities. He said he had made overtures to the minority community, especially the poor, in Gujarat and this had resulted in about "20-25 per cent" among them voting for the BJP.
The Hindutva icon said he told the minority community how Congress had not done anything for them and their poverty was due to this neglect. He maintained that a similar approach should be adopted by the party across the country to win over the minority voters.
In an interesting observation, Modi said there are different segments within the Muslims like Shias, Sunnis, Bohras and others and they can be reached out with promises of redressing their specific grievances.
Modi also underscored the need for tapping the young and first time voters who, he said, are restless for a change.
The 20 sub-committees formed by the party have been asked to become more active. "Modi asked the committees to do in deapth and comprehensive planning," Javadekar said.
The conclave will also discuss how to make the planned rallies a success, strengthening of booth committees, and door to door and village to village campaigns.
"Rajnath Singh gave a call to make `Mission 272+` for Lok Sabha elections a success. He criticised the Congress for failing to check price rise, falling Rupee and increasing unemployment. He said the government is now going for capital control which is a regressive step and shows a 1980s mindset," Javadekar said.
The BJP President also hit out at the UPA government on the issue of security.
"He charged that the Congress has failed to provide economic, internal and external security and is only concerned about its own security," Javadekar said, quoting Singh.
Rajnath said in his address at the BJP campaign committee
meet that Congress-led UPA government has not dealt with Pakistan in a befitting manner.
"There have been 18 ceasefire violations in the last 10 days by Pakistan. It is giving covering fire to infiltrators, and helping separatists and terrorists. Unless Pakistan gives an assurance that it will not sponsor terror activities and abjures firing at the border there should be no talks," Javadekar said, quoting the BJP President.
Modi also said the party needs to implement its plans effectively in the coming 200 days. Constituency congregations and reaching out to the people was emphasised by him.
The meeting is also giving special attention to Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Delhi where the party has stakes in the forthcoming Assembly elections. The state unit presidents of these states presented their report cards of the work done and the progress made so far.
BJP sources said election campaign committees for these states are likely to be announced soon.
Changes in the Delhi BJP set up are also likely with murmurs that Harshvardhan may be made the election campaign committee chief and the face of the party in the polls. This change, if effected, is aimed at clipping the wings of Delhi unit chief Vijay Goel. Several top party leaders are unhappy with his functioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon