BJP failed to raise public issues in house: Virbhadra Singh
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Friday said the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had worked against the spirit of democracy by boycotting the entire budget session of the Assembly.
"The leader of opposition (Prem Kumar Dhumal) and the members have failed in their prime responsibility of taking up public issues in the assembly, which is the most important platform," the chief minister said in his concluding remarks in the Assembly that was adjourned sine die.
He called the total boycott a well thought-out strategy of the BJP. "There was no reason for the boycott. The government did put in efforts to make them attend the session, but they did not relent."
Virbhadra Singh said he had never heard of such a stand by any opposition party across the country. "Even in the Lok Sabha, parties stage walkouts on issues for short periods and then come back," he said.
He said it was unfortunate the BJP members came to the Vidhan Sabha complex and sat outside under the sun, rather than participate in important debates.
The BJP legislators boycotted all sittings of the house from Feb 7, the day the state`s budget was presented, over Virbhadra Singh`s "humiliating" remark.
BJP state president Satpal Satti said Virbhadra Singh had remarked that BJP legislators "are bonded labourers".
Official sources said his comment was indirectly aimed at former chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
Earlier, the opposition was disrupting the house since the session began Feb 3.
Replying to the budget debate, Virbhadra Singh said: "It`s for the first time that the opposition has not only interrupted the governor`s address but also boycotted the budget speech and discussions thereon."
He said: "It was a move to pressurise the government on the enquiries into acts of omission and commission and wrongdoings in the previous BJP regime, those in HPCA (Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association) and other matters."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt