BJP fears losing Winter Session of Parliament
New Delhi: BJP on Friday charged the government
with being adamant on the issue of FDI in retail and feared
there would be no option left but to lose the entire winter
session of Parliament in case it did not budge from its stand.
The opposition is demanding on roll back of the
government`s decision to allow FDI in retail.
"If the government is adamant, then whatever it wants it
could do. And if the session is not functioning, then the
entire responsibility lies with the government. If they don`t
rollback, then what option does anyone have? And we have a
precedent of last year. It was exactly the winter session
which they allowed to be wasted," BJP leader Yashwant Sinha
He said the government allowed the last winter session of
Parliament to be wasted and no sooner did the budget session
start, they agreed to the setting up of the JPC to probe the
2G spectrum scam. "But they did not see it proper to agree to
it in the winter session itself," he said.
Talking about the current stalemate over FDI in retail
sector, Sinha said "economic reforms in this country for some
people is only synonymous with foreign direct investment."
"If you permit FDI, then you are reformist and if you
don`t then you are non-reformist. This is the narrowest
definition of economic reforms that I have ever heard in my
He alleged the government was saying "all kinds of lies in
support of it" after touting it as a "huge reform step"
without bothering about the consequences which will follow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa