BJP for 2-yr `cooling period` before judges head tribunals
New Delhi: Batting for judicial reforms, BJP on Sunday said a two-year "cooling off" period was necessary before judges were appointed to tribunals.
BJP president Nitin Gadkari alleged that long before judges retire, the tribunal they will head is decided well in advance.
At a programme organised by the party`s legal cell here, Gadkari said his aim is to turn BJP from an opposition party to a party of "good governance".
He said judicial reforms were in the party`s agenda and "cooling off" period of two years for judges before they are appointed to tribunals was a part of it.
His statement comes days after he alleged that besides the CBI, government is now using and pressurising the judiciary as well to "blackmail" Opposition parties and have its way.
"The CBI is being misused. The CBI and the judiciary are being used to blackmail Opposition parties. Such facts are coming to light," he had said.
Gadkari also alleged that CBI was being misused against BJP in states like Gujarat and Rajasthan where its leaders were sent to jail.
He said the party will identify CBI officers who have done wrong. "Hum eent ka jawab patthar se denge (We will hit back)," he said.
The BJP leader said the aim of the party should be to increase the party`s vote share by 10 percent in the coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr