BJP for Chidambaram`s resignation over `saffron terror` remark
Rajkot: Stepping up its attack on Home
Minister P Chidambaram over his "saffron terrorism" remark,
BJP on Saturday demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should sack him if he does not resign for using the "insulting" term.
Senior party leader Balbir Punj told reporters the Home
Minister should apologise for "insulting" people`s sentiments
towards the colour.
"Saffron colour is the symbol of sacrifice and
associating it with terrorism is an insult to the Hindu
religion," Punj said.
Chidambaram should resign for his remark and if he fails
to do so, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh must drop him from the
Union Cabinet, the Rajya Sabha MP said.
He said the Home Minister`s remark was the worst possible
example of vote-bank politics.
Chidambaram`s remark triggered uproar in Parliament with
BJP and Shiv Sena members demanding an apology from him. Even
Congress appeared to distance itself from the remarks saying,
terror has no colour and that care should be taken on use of
Addressing a function of state police chiefs in Delhi
earlier this week, Chidambaram had said a new phenomenon of
"saffron terrorism" involved in many bomb blasts has been
His comments came against the backdrop of investigators
finding links between Hindu extremist outfits and at least
five bomb blasts in recent years - at Hyderabad`s Mecca
Masjid, at Ajmer, Goa, Malegaon in Maharashtra and Modasa in
Describing Singh as a "weak" Prime Minister, the BJP
leader said he lacked authority and power to take decisions on
vital national issues.
"When our soldiers are fighting bravely against terrorism
and Naxalism, the PM has advised them to exercise restraint
while taking action," Punj said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday