BJP for Chidambaram`s resignation over `saffron terror` remark
Rajkot: Stepping up its attack on Home
Minister P Chidambaram over his "saffron terrorism" remark,
BJP on Saturday demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should sack him if he does not resign for using the "insulting" term.
Senior party leader Balbir Punj told reporters the Home
Minister should apologise for "insulting" people`s sentiments
towards the colour.
"Saffron colour is the symbol of sacrifice and
associating it with terrorism is an insult to the Hindu
religion," Punj said.
Chidambaram should resign for his remark and if he fails
to do so, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh must drop him from the
Union Cabinet, the Rajya Sabha MP said.
He said the Home Minister`s remark was the worst possible
example of vote-bank politics.
Chidambaram`s remark triggered uproar in Parliament with
BJP and Shiv Sena members demanding an apology from him. Even
Congress appeared to distance itself from the remarks saying,
terror has no colour and that care should be taken on use of
Addressing a function of state police chiefs in Delhi
earlier this week, Chidambaram had said a new phenomenon of
"saffron terrorism" involved in many bomb blasts has been
His comments came against the backdrop of investigators
finding links between Hindu extremist outfits and at least
five bomb blasts in recent years - at Hyderabad`s Mecca
Masjid, at Ajmer, Goa, Malegaon in Maharashtra and Modasa in
Describing Singh as a "weak" Prime Minister, the BJP
leader said he lacked authority and power to take decisions on
vital national issues.
"When our soldiers are fighting bravely against terrorism
and Naxalism, the PM has advised them to exercise restraint
while taking action," Punj said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow