BJP for Chidambaram`s resignation over `saffron terror` remark
Rajkot: Stepping up its attack on Home
Minister P Chidambaram over his "saffron terrorism" remark,
BJP on Saturday demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should sack him if he does not resign for using the "insulting" term.
Senior party leader Balbir Punj told reporters the Home
Minister should apologise for "insulting" people`s sentiments
towards the colour.
"Saffron colour is the symbol of sacrifice and
associating it with terrorism is an insult to the Hindu
religion," Punj said.
Chidambaram should resign for his remark and if he fails
to do so, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh must drop him from the
Union Cabinet, the Rajya Sabha MP said.
He said the Home Minister`s remark was the worst possible
example of vote-bank politics.
Chidambaram`s remark triggered uproar in Parliament with
BJP and Shiv Sena members demanding an apology from him. Even
Congress appeared to distance itself from the remarks saying,
terror has no colour and that care should be taken on use of
Addressing a function of state police chiefs in Delhi
earlier this week, Chidambaram had said a new phenomenon of
"saffron terrorism" involved in many bomb blasts has been
His comments came against the backdrop of investigators
finding links between Hindu extremist outfits and at least
five bomb blasts in recent years - at Hyderabad`s Mecca
Masjid, at Ajmer, Goa, Malegaon in Maharashtra and Modasa in
Describing Singh as a "weak" Prime Minister, the BJP
leader said he lacked authority and power to take decisions on
vital national issues.
"When our soldiers are fighting bravely against terrorism
and Naxalism, the PM has advised them to exercise restraint
while taking action," Punj said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks